Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sanikiluaq Court Circuit, January 2014 - Part 1


The blizzard was over on the morning of Wednesday, January 8th, so I should have been fine to fly to Ottawa as scheduled. But there was one sadly predictable problem. My 5:10 p.m. flight to Ottawa was on Canadian North. And despite the rapidly improving weather, Canadian North cancelled both of their flights for the day.

But First Air was still flying, and I was able to change my flight, so I made it to Ottawa as planned. I saw one of my brothers and a few friends during my brief stop. I’m glad that I could get out of Iqaluit on Wednesday because it meant an easy low-stress itinerary.  Everything I’ve read suggests that keeping the stress down and getting plenty of sleep helps with recovering from Bell’s Palsy. Stress and insufficient sleep was probably what got me into this mess in the first place, so I'm resolved to take better care of myself.

On Thursday afternoon I flew to Montreal. The flight was a bit delayed but I didn’t mind because the flight to Sanikiluaq wasn’t until the next morning so there was plenty of time. I rested up and treated myself to a swim and some fudge. This new health initiative really isn't so bad.

On Friday at 7:30 a.m., myself, co-counsel and the crown team met up at the departure gate and we all flew to Sanikiluaq together.  On the way, there was a brief stop in Kuujjuaraqpik, Quebec.

Our Air Inuit plane fueling up in Kuujjuarapik.

As with everywhere else in Canada, Sanikiluaq has been experiencing some pretty nasty weather recently, and planes hadn’t been landing all week. But luck was with us, and we made it in just after lunch, grateful to be spared the fate of being forced by weather to spend an entire weekend experiencing the culture, food and fashion of Montreal.

Okay well maybe not so grateful about missing out on that. But anyway, we've got a job to do, and we're here, and we're ready to help people with criminal court. Old Amaulik Hotel, Sanikiluaq, Saturday,January 11th and Sunday January 12th, 10-5 or by appointment.

1 comment:

  1. apparently I'm more of a ludite than I thought. If you get two messages from me, well its confirmed.
    Next time you are in Ottawa, do let me know. I'd love to have a pint or two and catch up. Great photos Tamara!
    kristen.mohr@ppsc.gc.ca

    ReplyDelete